*Pizza in Israel has a different flare than pizza in the U.S. For starters, kosher pizza can’t have any meat toppings since you can’t mix meat and dairy. Since pepperoni and bacon aren’t an option, Israeli pizza joints are very creative with the vegetable toppings they offer: tuna, corn, hard boiled egg, etc. One of the more famous pizza chains in Israel is called Pizza Meter. This recipe is an attempt to recreate one Pizza Meter’s specialtiues: Sweet Potato Pizza.
1 tube refrigerated pizza crust
1 medium sweet potato
1 medium onion, sliced thin
3 tsp olive oil, divided
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 box (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1) Preheat oven to 425. Unroll pizza crust and press evenly over the bottom of greased cookie sheet.
2) Bake crust 5 minutes and remove from oven.
3) Wash sweet potato and pierce skin several times with a fork. Cook potato in microwave on high for five minutes or until tender. Turn over potato halfway through cooking.
4) When potato is cool, peel the skin and mash up the flesh with a fork. Add 2 tsp oil to potato mixture and continue mashing.
5) Spread potato evenly over pizza crust. Sprinkle black pepper over potato. Top with spinach.
6) Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan evenly over pizza.
7) Toss sliced onion in 1 tsp oil and add onion to pizza.
8) Bake for 11-15 minutes or until crust is crisp and browned.
*Recipe by Shelley Neese, vice president of The Jerusalem Connection. Click here for her articles and videos.