By Hana Levi Julian, JewishPress.com
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told Israelis in a brief address to the nation Sunday night that once again there will have to be a total lockdown, because the number of red zones has skyrocketed from 30 to 70. “We simply have to act,” he said bluntly.
Netanyahu said in answering a reporter that the problem is not equipment, the problem is human resources. “It’s the capacity of the medical teams to keep working. Some of them are just falling off their feet,” he said.
But the bottom line is this: The lockdown begins this coming Friday at 2 pm – not 6 am as previously reported – and at this point will last at least until the end of the Simchat Torah holiday.
• The ministers have approved a three-week lockdown.
• Israelis must stay within 500 meters of their residence.
• Private sector can work as usual but may not accept customers.
• Supermarkets, pharmacies and deliveries will continue to operate.
• Malls, tourist venues, non-essential retail stores are closed.
• Schools are closed.
• Gatherings are restricted to maximum 10 indoors, 20 outdoors.
• Exercise / sport will be permitted beyond the 500-meter distance from home for individuals only.
• Special prayer arrangements will be made for the High Holidays, to be announced later.
“I know these steps are a heavy price for us all,” Netanyahu said. “These are not the holidays we are used to. We certainly won’t be able to celebrate with our extended families.” Continue Reading…