There are more Kugel recipes to be had! Check out the different variations of this Sabbath classic.
6 large potatoes
2 onions, diced
½ cup oil
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1) Preheat oven to 400°. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
2) In a large bowl, mix eggs, ½ cup oil, flour, salt and pepper. Set aside.
3) Sauté diced onion in 2 tblsp oil until it is nicely caramelized and golden.
4) While the onion is cooking, coarsely shred the potatoes with a cheese grater or food processor. Let the shredded potato stand for five minutes. Squeeze the shreds over a sink or colander to get out the excess liquid.
4) Add the potatoes and onions to the egg mixture and mix by hand.
5) Pour the kugel batter into the baking dish.
6) Bake the kugel uncovered for 1 hour or until golden brown on top and a toothpick comes out clean.
*Recipe by Shelley Neese, vice president of The Jerusalem Connection. Click here for her articles and videos.