It takes a little thought and creativity to come up with good desert options that are kosher for Passover. But these macaroons will take away any sense of deprivation.
3 ½ cups whole pecans
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 teaspoon almond extract
8 large egg whites
½ teaspoon salt
1) Preheat the oven to 350.
2) Toss pecans in syrup and toast them for 12 minutes on a cookie sheet lined with foil.
3) Remove the nuts from the oven and let them cool. Reduce oven temperature to 325.
4) Using mixer, beat egg whites and salt until they form soft peaks. Slowly add half the brown sugar to the bowl and continue beating until the peaks are stiff.
5) In a food processor, grind the cooled pecans and the rest of the brown sugar until they are finely ground. Mix the ground nuts with the shredded coconut and almond extract.
6) Gently fold the stiffened egg whites into the nut-coconut mixture.
7) On a greased cookie sheet, drop heaping tablespoons of batter. Bake for 15 minutes. Let them cool before handling.