BY Israel Hayom—
The IDF on Monday said it finished sealing the last of a series of Hezbollah attack tunnels under the country’s northern border with Lebanon, roughly six months after they were found.
Military spokesman Lt. Col. Jonathan Conricus told reporters during a tour of the tunnel that it was “the longest and deepest attack tunnel that Hezbollah dug,” plunging more than 80 meters (260 feet) – about the height of a 22-story building – below ground.
Israel launched “Operation Northern Shield” in December to find and destroy what it said were six Hezbollah tunnels burrowed into Israeli territory for the purpose of attacking soldiers and civilians. Hezbollah has not commented.
Conricus said the IDF has “now completed this operation” and that “it is safe to say that there are no more Hezbollah cross-border attack tunnels from Lebanon into Israel.”
The Hezbollah tunnel had been fitted with electrical wiring, fuse boxes and communications equipment, and began almost a mile inside Lebanon near the town of Zarit.