*Feel free to substitute the cod for bass or snapper.
2 cans chickpeas
3/4 cup water
6 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper flakes
5 tablespoons olive oil, separated
½ teaspoon ground coriander
salt and pepper
2 pounds cod fillets, 1 inch thick
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon lime zest
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2) In large deep skillet over medium heat combine the chickpeas, water, garlic, cayenne, 2 tblsp olive oil, coriander, salt and pepper.
3) Bring chickpea mixture to a simmer and turn the heat to low. Simmer 30 minutes.
4) Once chickpeas are done simmering, put half of them in a 9 or 10 inch casserole dish. Arrange the cod fillets on top. Sprinkle the fish with lime juice, cumin, salt and pepper, and 2 tblsp of the cilantro. Top with remaining chickpeas and drizzle everything with the 3 tblsp of olive oil.
5) Bake covered for 30 minutes.
6) Top the cooked dish with the rest of the cilantro and lime zest.