*This was my first meal to make after we moved to Israel. I actually ruined it the first time because I didn’t know Israeli ovens use celsius instead of fahrenheit. These came out pretty dry and crisp in a 400 degree celcius oven! I never made that mistake again.
6 bell peppers, washed and halved
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup rice, cooked
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 slices of bread, crumbled
28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
8 ounce can of tomato sauce
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Mash ground beef in large bowl. Add onions, rice, garlic, salt, pepper, and bread crumbs. Chop whole peeled tomatoes from can and add to meat mixture; reserve the juice.
3) Place bell peppers in deep dish. Stuff meat mixture into bell pepper halves.
4) Mix the remaining juice from the whole peeled tomatoes with the tomato sauce and pour over peppers.
5) Bake for 1 1/2 hours. Let cool ten minutes after taking out of oven.
*Recipe by Shelley Neese, vice president of The Jerusalem Connection. Click here for her articles and videos.