by Victor Sharpe
Here is more information about the so-called humanitarian flotilla, which like so many groups who hide behind titles such as, “humanitarian” and “peace and justice,” are violent and hateful in their premeditated acts.
The pictures are hard to watch, the emotions they create are understandable BUT let us realize this is exactly what the Turkish Humanitarian organization wanted to create with this flotilla. This was NOT a peaceful humanitarian group, they came armed and ready for violence, even with children as human shields. Please use the facts below whenever you talk or are engaged on this subject.
1. A state of armed conflict exists between Israel and the Hamas regime controlling Gaza. The Hamas terrorists have launched over 12,000 rockets against Israeli civilians, and are presently smuggling in Iranian arms and military supplies into Gaza, by land and sea, in order to fortify its positions and continue its attacks.
2. Under international law, Israel has the right to protect the lives of its civilians from Hamas attacks, and, consequently, has undertaken measures to defend itself, including the imposition of a maritime blockade to curb Hamas rearmament. Under international maritime law, when a maritime blockade is in effect, no vessels can enter the blockaded area.
3. In line with Israel’s obligations under international law, the ships participating in the protest flotilla were warned repeatedly that a maritime blockade is in effect off the coast of Gaza and were given due notice of its exact coordinates.
4. Israel repeatedly offered the flotilla organizers permission to land in the port of Ashdod, and to transfer their aid to Gaza through the existing overland crossings, in accordance with established procedures. Thousands of tons of humanitarian supplies are regularly allowed in by Israel through the land crossings. The flotilla organizers rejected this offer, stating clearly that “this mission is not about delivering humanitarian supplies, it’s about breaking Israel’s siege.” (Greta Berlin, AFP, 27May10).
5. While the organizers claim to have humanitarian concern for the residents of Gaza they did not have similar concerns for the fate of the abducted Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, and when asked, refused to even make a public call to allow him to be visited by the Red Cross. Shalit has languished in a Gazan dungeon for over three years.
6. When it became clear that the protest flotilla intended to violate the blockade despite repeated warnings, Israeli Naval personnel boarded the vessels of the flotilla, and redirected them to Ashdod.
7. Given the large number of vessels participating in the flotilla, there was an operational need to undertake measures to enforce the blockade a certain distance from the area of the blockade.
8. The intention of the flotilla participants to resist Israeli Naval personnel was made clear in numerous television interviews on 30 May given by the head of the IHH, Bulent Yildirim on board the Mavi Marmara (as he held a year-old infant in his arms, in what he called a “message” to any Israelis planning to act against the flotilla).
9. The Israeli Navy was met with violent opposition, two pistols were found in the hands of protesters, and over a dozen Israeli personnel were hospitalized, some in critical condition. One militant snatched a gun from an Israeli commando and opened fire. The Navy described being met by a “lynching” party.
10. In Ashdod, the flotilla’s cargo will be off-loaded and the humanitarian items will be transferred overland to Gaza in accordance with standard operating procedures. The participants of the flotilla will be subjected to immigration procedures applicable in cases of attempted illegal entry.
Summing up: Inevitably Israel will be portrayed as brutal and unconcerned for the human rights of the victims of the conflict. Hamas and the many other Islamic terror organizations play the Western world, its press and governments, masterfully. The end result is that Israel, as so often, is caught in a “No-Win” situation and must ultimately use force to stop the aggression and depredations of the Hamas terror organization. Whether Hamas and the Islamists unleash incessant rocket fire into Israeli civilian towns, kidnap Israeli soldiers, inflict terror attacks, or bring a flotilla of so-called “peace activists” to Gaza, Israel is brought to a position that it must act. Not to do so is ultimately to commit national suicide. Sadly, the mainstream press consistently refuses to accept or understand how they are being relentlessly manipulated by Hamas, Hezbollah, and the Islamists and Jihadists.