2 16 ounces cans cooked chickpeas, drained
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
2 cups water
2 smoked chipotle peppers in adobo sauce from can, diced
1 (14.5 ounces) can fire roasted tomatoes, pureed or diced
1) Drizzle one cup of chickpeas with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread them evenly on a cookie sheet. In a 400 degree oven, roast the chickpeas for 25-30 minutes. They should be slightly crunchy when finished. Set aside for garnish.
2) In a large skillet toast the cumin seeds until fragrant. Set aside.
3) In the same pan, melt the butter. Add the garlic and onion. Sauté until onions are translucent. Add coriander and flour and cook one minute longer.
4) Add canned tomatoes, chipotle peppers, and toasted cumin seeds. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
5) Add remaining chickpeas and two cups of water. Simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
6) Garnish with roasted chickpeas.