1/4 cup onion, minced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 and 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
3 tablespoons flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1) Melt butter in a large saucepan; saute onion, peppers, and curry until onions are soft and translucent.
2) Blend flour and all dry seasonings together in a small bowl and then add to the vegetables.
3) Cook over medium-low heat until smooth and bubbly (5-10 minutes).
4) Add broth and milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
5) Cook until mixture thickens. Add chick peas and lemon juice and cook until heated through.
*Serve over rice
*Recipe by Shelley Neese, vice president of The Jerusalem Connection. Click here for her articles and videos.